Excessive or unwanted hair in women
The normal amount of body hair varies widely among women. When coarse, dark hairs grow where women typically do not grow dark hair, such as the lip, chin, chest, abdomen, or back, the condition is called hirsutism.
Hypertrichosis; Hirsutism; Hair - excessive (women)
Excessive hair growth in women is usually from too much male hormone (androgen). A common cause is polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). In most cases, however, the specific cause is never identified. It tends to run in families. In general, hirsutism is a harmless condition. But many women find it bothersome, even embarrassing.
If hirsutism develops suddenly and is accompanied by other typical male features, such as deepening voice, acne, or increased muscle mass, it may be caused by a more serious disorder. These causes, such as hormone-secreting tumors or cancer, are rare.
Rare causes include:
There are a variety of ways to remove unwanted hair:
- Bleaching -- lightening hair to make it less noticeable.
- Hair removal -- shaving, plucking, waxing, or chemical depilation.
- Electrolysis -- using electrical current to damage individual hair follicles so they do not grow back. This is expensive and requires multiple treatments.
- Laser hair removal -- using laser to damage individual hair follicles so they do not grow back. This is expensive and requires multiple treatments.
- Weight loss -- in overweight women, weight loss can decrease male hormone levels and reduce hair growth.
Birth control pills and anti-androgen medications can also help reduce hair growth. A doctor must prescribe these medications.
When to Contact a Medical Professional
Call your doctor if:
- The hair grows rapidly.
- The hair growth is associated with male features such as acne, deepening voice, increased muscle mass, and decreased breast size.
- You are concerned that medication may be worsening unwanted hair growth.
Your doctor will perform a physical examination, including a pelvic examination if appropriate. The doctor will ask questions such as:
- Do other members of your family also have excessive amounts of hair?
- What medications are you taking?
- Have your periods been regular?
- Are you pregnant?
- Have you noticed other signs of excess male hormones such as increased muscle mass, deepening voice, acne, or decreased breast size?
Diagnostic blood tests may be performed to measure levels of :
If a tumor is suspected, x-ray tests such as a CT scan or ultrasound may be recommended.
Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology. 4th ed. St. Louis, Mo: Mosby, Inc. 2004.
Claman P. SOGC clinical practice guidelines. Hirsutism: evaluation and treatment. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2002; 24(1): 62-73, 77-79.
Büyükaebiz A. Hirsutism in adolescent girls. J Ped Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 20:473-474.
Bona G, Bozzola M, Buzi F, et al. Hirsutism. Minerva Pediatr. 2007; 59(3):289-298.
Email to a Friend
Typical mistypes for Excessive or unwanted hair in women
wxcessive or, sxcessive or, dxcessive or, rxcessive or, 4xcessive or, 3xcessive or, ezcessive or, eccessive or, edcessive or, escessive or, exxessive or, exvessive or, exfessive or, exdessive or, excwssive or, excsssive or, excdssive or, excrssive or, exc4ssive or, exc3ssive or, exceasive or, excezsive or, excexsive or, excedsive or, exceesive or, excewsive or, excesaive or, exceszive or, excesxive or, excesdive or, exceseive or, exceswive or, excessuve or, excessjve or, excesskve or, excessove or, excess9ve or, excess8ve or, excessice or, excessibe or, excessige or, excessife or, excessivw or, excessivs or, excessivd or, excessivr or, excessiv4 or, excessiv3 or, excessive ir, excessive kr, excessive lr, excessive pr, excessive 0r, excessive 9r, excessive oe, excessive od, excessive of, excessive ot, excessive o5, excessive o4, xcessive or, ecessive or, exessive or, excssive or, excesive or, excesive or, excessve or, excessie or, excessiv or, excessiveor, excessive r, excessive o, xecessive or, ecxessive or, execssive or, excsesive or, excesisve or, excessvie or, excessiev or, excessiv eor, excessiveo r, excessive ro, eexcessive or, exxcessive or, exccessive or, exceessive or, excesssive or, excesssive or, excessiive or, excessivve or, excessivee or, excessive or, excessive oor, excessive orr, etc.