Poisoning from an swallowing turpentine oil.
- Some floor and furniture waxes and polishes
- Some paint brush cleaners
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
- Lungs and airways
- Breathing difficulty (from inhalation)
- Throat swelling (which may also cause breathing difficulty)
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
- Severe pain in the throat
- Severe pain or burning in the nose, eyes, ears, lips, or tongue
- Loss of vision
- Severe abdominal pain
- Burns of the esophagus (food pipe)
- Vomiting blood
- Blood in the stool
- Heart and blood
- Hypotension (low blood pressure) develops rapidly
- Necrosis (holes) in the skin or underlying tissues
- Bladder and kidneys
DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional. Seek immediate medical help.
If the chemical was swallowed, immediately give the person water or milk, unless instructed otherwise by a health care provider. DO NOT give water or milk if the patient is having symptoms (such as vomiting, convulsions, or a decreased level of alertness) that make it hard to swallow.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- The patient's age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the U.S. use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
See National Poison Control center.
What to Expect at the Emergency Room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The patient may receive:
- Fluids by IV
- Medicines to treat symptoms
- A nasogastric (NG) tube thru the nose into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage)
- Endoscopy -- camera down the throat to see burns in the esophagus and the stomach
- Breathing tube
- Bronchoscopy -- camera down the throat to see burns in the airways and lungs
- Irrigation (washing of the skin) -- perhaps every few hours for several days
- Skin debridment (surgical removal of burned skin)
Extensive damage to the mouth, throat, and stomach are possible. The ultimate outcome depends on the extent of this damage. Damage can continue to occur for several weeks after the hydrocarbon was swallowed. Death may occur as long as a month after the hydrocarbon was swallowed.
Email to a Friend
Typical mistypes for Turpentine oil
rurpentine oil, furpentine oil, gurpentine oil, yurpentine oil, 6urpentine oil, 5urpentine oil, tyrpentine oil, thrpentine oil, tjrpentine oil, tirpentine oil, t8rpentine oil, t7rpentine oil, tuepentine oil, tudpentine oil, tufpentine oil, tutpentine oil, tu5pentine oil, tu4pentine oil, turoentine oil, turlentine oil, tur-entine oil, tur0entine oil, turpwntine oil, turpsntine oil, turpdntine oil, turprntine oil, turp4ntine oil, turp3ntine oil, turpebtine oil, turpemtine oil, turpejtine oil, turpehtine oil, turpenrine oil, turpenfine oil, turpengine oil, turpenyine oil, turpen6ine oil, turpen5ine oil, turpentune oil, turpentjne oil, turpentkne oil, turpentone oil, turpent9ne oil, turpent8ne oil, turpentibe oil, turpentime oil, turpentije oil, turpentihe oil, turpentinw oil, turpentins oil, turpentind oil, turpentinr oil, turpentin4 oil, turpentin3 oil, turpentine iil, turpentine kil, turpentine lil, turpentine pil, turpentine 0il, turpentine 9il, turpentine oul, turpentine ojl, turpentine okl, turpentine ool, turpentine o9l, turpentine o8l, turpentine oik, turpentine oip, turpentine oio, urpentine oil, trpentine oil, tupentine oil, turentine oil, turpntine oil, turpetine oil, turpenine oil, turpentne oil, turpentie oil, turpentin oil, turpentineoil, turpentine il, turpentine ol, turpentine oi, utrpentine oil, trupentine oil, tuprentine oil, turepntine oil, turpnetine oil, turpetnine oil, turpenitne oil, turpentnie oil, turpentien oil, turpentin eoil, turpentineo il, turpentine iol, turpentine oli, tturpentine oil, tuurpentine oil, turrpentine oil, turppentine oil, turpeentine oil, turpenntine oil, turpenttine oil, turpentiine oil, turpentinne oil, turpentinee oil, turpentine oil, turpentine ooil, turpentine oiil, turpentine oill, etc.